Saturday, June 4, 2011

WORK 8 HRS, SLEEP 8 HRS, 8 HRS OF FUN

We’ve been busy.

As soon as we came back from Cape Town we were delivered one thousand books for the library from Books for Africa, USA. According to the Peace Corps workshop, they need to be registered, due date slips glued in, a stock card manufactured, labeled, and inserted into the book ID envelope (which also has been manufactured and labeled by hand), and reinforced (depending on the type and condition of the book). It is very labor intensive and time consuming (not to mention elementary and boring). I’ve had the help of my
librarian-counterpart (pictured) who is a kick to work with. Debbie has spent time with us on occasion when she needs a break from writing hospital policy. Everything is done by hand because we have no typewriter or paper-cutter. I’m making an effort to color code in an attempt to facilitate student help in the future.



The other significant project is the world map. The basics went surprisingly fast and we’re working on labeling and customizing now. When completed, I’m planning to have a companion map of Swaziland on the same wall. I’m pleased with the results, so far, and hope I can keep things moving along without entering ‘African time’. The first photo is tracing the projected image (we had to wait until after dark). In the second photo, the colorists (or colourists, here) on this day in the picture are an art class with the art teacher, Phumzile (left), and Fanelo (who teaches English comp) (all deaf).
I'll update you when completed.


I’ve spent many hours on an interactive blog with an A.P.-geography class in Florida. It was set up by their teacher who was a PCV in Western Africa some time ago. It was an interesting experience—they had some good questions reminding me of conditions here which we’ve begun taking for granted.

And there’s more: I’ve been contributing a short column to our monthly newsletter for Peace Corps-Swaziland. They were looking for the wisdom of a venerable mkhulu (read old grandpa) and I seemed to fit the bill. And, fulfilling PC dictate, we each completed our trimester reports and submitted them by deadline.

And just so this isn’t all about me, Debbie faithfully puts in her time for Good Sheppard Hospital by creating policy. She reports that a 9:00 a.m. meeting was convened at 2:30 p.m. African time is the norm at her volunteer site.

Oh yeah, the fun?! Fred & Florence visited last weekend and we spent a day with them at Hlane game reserve and another day hiking Mabuda Farm. (Ask to see my pictures.) And to round out the fun, Mo and I kept our usual play date with the pre-schoolers. We'll talk more, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment